There are so many yummy recipes on Pinterest! I saw this one over at For the Love of Cooking and knew that Dan would love it. Instead of pecans I used walnuts because Dan loves walnuts (and I like them better than pecans).
When Dan first tasted it, he said it reminded him of something his mom made when he was a kid. :) I don’t know why, but that made me so happy! All I could think of was that moment in Ratatouille when the cold-hearted chef tasted little buddy’s dish for the first time and he had a flashback from his childhood and instantly warmed up to everyone. Dan also said it was the best cake he’s ever had and that I can make it for his birthday if I wanted hahaha
Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Walnut Frosting
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
3/4 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Mix the oatmeal with the boiling water, stir and cover.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients then stir in the oatmeal mixture.
3. Grease and flour a 9×9 pan. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes.
4. Combine all frosting ingredients and mix thoroughly. Carefully spread frosting over the top of the cake.
5. Broil until coconut is just brown. Watch very closely – it doesn’t take long.
6. Cool, slice and serve!